San Jose de los Jemez Mission Church Ruins

Jemez Springs, NM
This is what remains of the Franciscan mission church built in the early 1600's (about the time of the arrival of northern Europeans at Plymouth Rock). The church was abandoned by the Spanish Franciscans about 1639. It is now a New Mexico historic site which gets adorned annually at Christmastime with farolitos (or luminaria).